Sparrow Hospital was founded in 1896, when the Women’s Hospital Association supported one doctor and one nurse out of a rented house. In 1910, Edward W. Sparrow donated land on East Michigan Avenue and $100,000 to help build the hospital. Sparrow then built a 10-story addition on the ground in 2008, and later founded the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center in 2017. Since the foundation of Sparrow, the hospital has expanded into the surrounding areas to provide care across Michigan.
In 2020 Sparrow Medical Group Portland announced the move to a brand-new medical office building. Progressive AE designed the new building and WIELAND began construction in 2020 that created more space for patient rooms, walk-in X-rays, and laboratory services. WIELAND completed construction on the 11,500 SF facility in May 2021.